Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Yeah, it's quite the process. The rescue agencies have to "vett" you. You fill out an application on line and must meet several criteria. Often they only want the dog going to a house with another dog, and most times, they want the yard to be fenced. We meet neither of these requirements, so we had to look for a dog that didn't require this. Many of the rescue dogs come from closed up puppy mills in the south and west, and have only lived with other dogs. Hence the "other dog" requirement. They will have us meet the dog at it's foster provider, and if that goes well, they will schedule a tour of our house. All members of the household have to be present for that. If that goes well, we most likely will get the dog once we pay the adoption fee.

Most of the rescue operations run this way up here. There's also the possibility that another party looking at the same dog gets her in stead of us. It's a pretty involved process.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds this absolutely ridiculous??

Why all the drama??

Why don't you just find a breeder and go buy a dog??

it's a DOG for crying out loud, it's not like there is a shortage of them!!

Sorry, but all of this "pet adoption" and "pet parent" nonsense is just absolute foolishness and anyone who goes along with it is just enabling the idiots who think animals are just like humans........

The reason I don't just "find a breeder and go buy a dog" is that beagle puppies up here run $1,875.00, which I don't have. Also, I'd much rather rescue a dog that's been given up or take from someone who may have been abusing it. Where's all this "drama" you're speaking of any ways? This is pretty standard operating procedure for rescue operations. As for the "non-shortage" of dogs, I've been looking for a while find a dog that met the criteria of: 1) didn't require a fenced in yard. 2) didn't require another dog to be present 3) was good with cats and kids. 4) was house trained and less than 4 years old. Go through the rescue shelter ads in your area and tell me how many you find that meet those requirements. As for "pet adoption" and "pet parent" being nonsense, you are entitled to your own opinion on that, and I'm entitled to mine. There's an awful lot of need for adoption from these rescue shelters. Incidentally-have you ever owned a beagle, or even a dog for that matter? Beagles like to run, and will at the drop of a hat. I understand the requirement for a fenced yard. I live in a neighborhood, and it wouldn't be good if the dog took off on us, and beagles are known to do. We have a cable run to put the dog on for her to get out and get exercise, and she will be walked on a leash at least twice a day, but we can't and shouldn't turn her loose and let her run the neighborhood. Plus, she'd be a big ol' snack for the local coyotes. There's been two ankle biters and two cats gone missing in our neighborhood in the last year, and I suspect it's from coyotes.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla