When I was 21 I killed a flying crow with one shot from a .22 Ruger Super Single Six. The bird came out over me as I stood at the edge of a tall woodlot. He had to be at least 200 feet up in the air, there was a puff of feathers and he spiraled down into the river next to me and floated away.

A year later I shot a crow out of the top of a tree with one shot from my Ruger Bearcat at about 100 yards.

Before laser rangefinders were readily available I was on a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming and took a crack at a PD with my Ruger 77/22 Magnum. It was a long way off and I held way high and into the wind. There was a noticeable delay before the PD toppled over dead. We paced it off and as I recall, the distance was 440 long steps. The PD was hit through the head.

I have shot probably a dozen deer with various .22 LR rifles and handguns. All had been injured by cars, fences or dogs, and some were still mobile. It worked just fine, even on a couple that were 50 yards or so away and running on 3 legs.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/21/17.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...