Wasn't the least bit impressive, if you knew the secret. The guy with me didn't know the secret so he was very impressed.

We were cleaning up some rubbish and brush at the farm when I was about sixteen. I was carrying (best as I remember) a H&R 922 for snakes. Driving back up the road toward the house a large snake came off the bank. I slammed on the brakes and we both jump out of the truck to see what kind it was. Normally I'd leave a black snake alone in this situation but... It was slithering along through the weeds when my buddy spotted it again. As quick as I could I drew and fired from the hip. The snake coiled obviously hit. I put another couple rounds on it, all from the hip. My buddy thought I was the greatest shot since Wyatt Earp or Wild Bill. What he didn't know was that the pistol was loaded with snake shot. I never did tell him any different.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org