From the late 40's to early 70's, my grandfather ran one of the largest plantation along the coast Of SC.
Every year, there was a annual deer hunt, cookout, for a bunch of bigwigs. State Senators, Judges, folks from entertainment industry, etc.
We had a particular field that always filled up with deer, and several of those guys were stationed around the field.
A large buck ran out, and stopped in the very middle of the field. It was so far from everyone, on one would even attempt a shot. I was in a old Jeep with my granddad. He pulled out his Browning semi-auto .22 rifle. He was gonna try to spook the deer towards one of the standers. I didn't know how far it was, but after visiting that field years later, I'd guess the deer was about 225 yrds away.
So my granddad lowered the windshield, and took aim way above the deer, and fired. The deer stood up on it's hind legs, rolled over, hit the ground dead as a hammer. He hit it right between it's eye and ear. Folks still talk about it round that area till this day.