Originally Posted by moosemike
The only "Bear" broadheads I ever heard of in my life were Fred Bear razorheads. And they worked on all game as he so ably proved. Small diameter broadheads for bear is pure BS. Arrows penetrate like crazy and don't need the blades whittled away to drive deep. What they do need is a good cutting diameter to kill. You'll learn this the first time you shoot something with a field point.

Never went looking for bear, but I've been hunting deer since I was a pre-teen. I started out with cedar shaft Bear brand glue on tips, with bleeders. I know them well. But as my poundage went up, they get harder to tune for true flight. As I said, I had an issue with planing, and stopped using them. Ohio raise the minimum poundage and the same arrows would no longer group well with the higher poundage.
The tips used by my bear hunter, are tiny, just a bit larger than the shaft.
As Fred Bear said himself, of his crosscut bleeder blades, sometimes the wound seals around the shaft, and the bleeders were to prevent that. He also said of his design, that nothing penetrated better than a 2 blades head design. (Translation, less drag)
Field points are fine for squirrels and rabbits, where I'm not shooting razorheads into dirt, but clearly not for large game. I've been bow hunting for more than 40 years.
Whether or not you've heard of smaller tips for the purpose, I couldn't care less, but he has a wide variety of mounted heads covering three walls of his garage. They must work. (I'll check my laptop, and see if I still have a few pics or not).

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~