Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Most, not all, but most people I have known in military intelligence sit behind a desk.

At NSA headquarters there is a Wall with a few hundred names, in an area not open to the public. There is a replica at the National Cryptographic Museum outside the gate.

Those whose names are on the wall weren't sitting behind any desk. In addition to the ASA soldier Leanwolf mentioned, there are members of the crews of the USS Pueblo and Liberty, as well as several aircraft shot down.

The museum is well worth a visit for anyone interested in a little known part of history.

Paul

Used to work with a guy who had retired from the US Army after 20+ years. Pretty nice easy going fellow and a no BS type person. He didn't mind talking some about his years spent in the service in general but not much on specific details other than he was a recruiter the last few years before retiring. One night at work we were talking and he told me he spent a tour in Vietnam assigned to ASA who was handling electronic surveillance for NSA as NSA was not supposed to be in country. He said that most of his duties were working as a go-fer, doing physical grunt work and security for the real ASA high tech people. I asked him what happened when one of their guys was injured or killed? He said that that rarely ever happened but when it did their official records showed them as assigned to Signal Corps.