Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Sometimes the military itself aids in the delusions of it's members. For instance, I know a Vietnam era Navy guy who was credited with being in a combat zone, but was never any closer to Vietnam than 10 miles off shore. But he has that ribbon to help with his stories.

I know an USAF enlisted desk jockey who was allowed a ride on a cargo plane that made a drop in the desert during the first gulf war. Plane never even came to a complete stop, yet he was credited with having been in the war zone on his records. A couple of minutes over the runway and he's a war hero. He is now an officer in the local VFW.

I myself have many stories of my service time during the Vietnam War. However, many of my stories are funny and some are down right embarrassing. The closest I got to Nam was Turkey and I still deal with some guilt over all the fun I was having while others were being shot at. Best, most fun time of my life! smile

Hell LBJ got a Silver Star for taking a ride (hiding and crapping himself) in a single bomber run out of Australia in WWII!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS