Hitched 300 miles to college a couple of times in the 70's without serious incident or blow jobs.

In the early 80's I was driving in my pickup to Upstate New York from Texas one February when, getting back on the Interstate at first light somewhere in Arkansas I passed a neatly dressed gentleman in his 60's standing by the on ramp carrying a suitcase. Didn't have time to react, but I thought about it and got off at the next exit a few miles down the road and came back around. He was still there.

He was coming from California, had no children. His wife had recently died after a long illness, the costs of her treatment having left him bankrupt and without a home. He was headed for his elderly mom's house in Philadelphia . We ended up having the best friggin' day, detoured out of my way and we took the scenic route, I was able to bring some light into the life of a heartbroken man enduring tragedy. He was good company and I remember how much he enjoyed the meals we ate, I picked up the tab of course.

I detoured out of my way and finally dropped him that night at a truck stop outside of Philly. I dunno at this distance why I didn't drive him all the way to his mom's house, I guess it didn't seem appropriate at the time. I recall he was a quiet, good natured man wearing a charm depicting a pair of praying hands on a chain around his neck. I think I recall him saying that his wife had given it to him.

With any luck he was really an angel in case I need to cash in that chip on Judgement Day wink

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744