I'm an avid coyote hunter from your part of the country but I also hunt coyotes in up to five other states every year.. A fast twist 22-250 requires you to hand load. For called coyotes a regular 22-250 with 45-55gr bullets will cover all your hunting. If you really feel that long range coyote killing is in your future you would be better served with a 243 or 25-06 for a non reloader. If your not saving fur any of your deer rifles will work fine and you will be even more comfortable with them come deer season. I'm a pelt hunter so saving fur is at the top of my list and I hunt with a 222 Rem, 22-204, 5.6x50R Mag, 22 Sav. Highpower and a 22-250 with custom handloads.

Called coyotes are almost always a under 200 yard shot with many from your shoelaces to 100 yards. I personally feel that if your getting a lot of CALLED coyotes beyond 200 yards your doing something wrong. As Mart said there is always time to turn a scope up never time to turn one down. My calling rifles wear 1-4, 1,5-6 and 2.5-10(it hardly ever gets taken out) 2-7 are great calling scopes also. With my 1-4 and 1.5-6 scopes I am more than comfortable out to 300 yards. With the lower end power on a scope you gain field of view, with 1 or 1.5x on the bottom end you have 60-100' FOV at 100 yards with a 3x on the bottom end you are down to 35' FOV, with more FOV you have much faste target aquisition and the abillity to see an opening in the brush ahead of a moving coyote.

Coyote hunting can be a good excuse to buy a new rifle 223 and 22-250 have great coyote loads in bulk in the Win. White box.

Last edited by erich; 11/15/17.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders