Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by mart
Shot one once out the kitchen window at 0500. We had rented a farmhouse several miles out of town and with no near neighbors. A coyote trotted by about 200 yards out one summer morning. I was having coffee and getting ready for work. I didn't give it much thought, just opened the window, rested the Swift over the sill and let fly. My sleeping wife wasn't at all impressed with the shot. Go figure. Women can be funny sometimes.

!! laugh

We lived on a cattle ranch for a few years, and the owner had a spot 104 measured yards from my kitchen window where he would drag dead critters and leave them in winter. Coyotes would sometimes eat a whole Hereford cow in 3-4 days. 5-7 coyotes on a dead beef was a normal morning and I think 9 was the most I saw there at one time. I would lay on our kitchen counter with the window open and shoot a coyote now and then with my heavy barrelled 6mm. Home entertainment system.

If you poke the muzzle well outside the noise isn't too bad inside the house. If the muzzle is inside the window, the noise is magnified. Our bedroom was on the opposite side of the house and my wife put up with the occasional noise.

I used to do the same thing except to draw magpies in. I'd leave a skinned coyote carcass about 50 yards out from the garage and use a 22 to snipe them. I only killed three birds the first winter and after that they wouldn't go near the carcass. Smart birds.The next year I moved it out to 200 and used the Swift or a 222. They still smartened up after three or four.

I did have the muzzle outside the window on the coyote shot but it was midsummer in eastern Washington with no AC. All the windows were open including the one next to our bed.

Yep, back during Desert Storm I had a deer carcass in a field corner about 170 yards from the house. One morning while getting ready for work I looked out and saw a coyote on the bait. Slid open the kitchen door and put him down with the old M99 250-3000 using 75 gr Sierra hp. The angle of the shot put the barrel at an extreme angle to the house, right back by the daughters bedroom. Thought Saddam had invaded there for awhile.