Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I grew up in suburban Atlanta. Started first grade in 1956. Schools were segregated, never saw a black kid in school until integration started in 1966, when I was in 11th grade.

Our teachers in grade school were a bunch of unreconstructed Southern Belles. I can still remember Miss Causey, in 4th grade, telling the class of what a terrible thing that Mr. Lincoln ended slavery, because the colored folks had it good under slavery, they all had good jobs and a nice little cabin to live in.
Also I remember Miss Cofield in fifth grade had us sing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJZ12iMzvQ

All of us little white kids would stand by the desk, we knew the song by heart, and we would sing.
When we got to the part that said "Pick a bale of cotton" we all bent over and spun our hands around real fast, like we were picking cotton.
Then when we sang "Oh, Lordy" we raised our hands over our heads and shook our hands.

Somehow, I don't think the kids at Ashford Park School are singing "Pick a Bale of Cotton" today.

What a strange song to sing in a classroom environment.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?