Originally Posted by jwall
10 gauge

If I had access to a walk in cooler, I would NOT do the ice chest thing.

WHEN, when our WX stays BELOW 50* I let my deer hang outside several days. I absolutely PREFER that. Unfortunately that does not happen very often during our season.

Jerry

How weather has been for us lately. Almost 20 years ago I killed a doe opening Saturday, hung and skinned immediately and didn't touch her until we cut a loin out for sammiches the following Friday and didn't do anything else until Sunday. Probably the best loin and tenderest roasts I have had. Never got over 40 that week.

Even when we are warm and debone the same day I try to put in a refrigerator on trays for a day to firm the meat up. If I don't refrigerate for a day I grind everything but the loin which I beat out for sandwiches. I am a chili nut so grinding whole deer does not bother me a bit.

My bud and I kill between 10-15 a year so we can be choosy about what we do with each deer.

Looking at building a cooler ourselves. Buddy has a box off of a delivery truck about 16" long and we are thinking of framing it in, insulating it and sticking a window unit or two in it to help on warmer days

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!