Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not to start a pissing match, but running those 120's too fast can be a messy problem at closer ranges. I've whacked enough hogs with them to know.

By the way,my son killed his first bull elk with the 7mm Rem Mag that we got from you. With a Ballistic Tip that exited the barrel at 3100 fps. In this case a 150 grain version,which I recovered just in the hide on the off side shoulder.

Actually.I only recovered the jacket,because the core exited.

Which makes me wonder,if there is really any practical difference between the killing ability of a 7mm-08 with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip at 3100 FPS,and a 7mm Mag with a 150 grain Ballistic Tip at 3100 FPS. I am sure at really long range,over 500 yards,the higher BC of the longer bullet gives it the advantage. But at practical hunting ranges,400 yards or less,is there really any difference between them?

That's outstanding doc. The last mule deer I killed with that rifle, shooting those exact 150 BT's, acted exactly the same way. The buck dropped very quickly as the bullet entered his back ham (quartering away at 150 yds), core exited in front of off side shoulder, jacket found under skin. Great performance.

Not sure how much difference in killing power there is though. Maybe MD or some else can answer that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.