Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bobby,

SST's have been toughened up considerably since their introduction

Yes, you are indeed correct, and from personal experience I know that is certainly the case for both the 6.5mm/129 and .30/150. But the 123 SST is perplexing as these were current-production bullets from 18-20 month ago. I know that from talking to Hornady, and the guy I spoke with mentioned the 123 grainer was basically designed from the ground-up for the Grendel and did not think they had been tweaked, as have others in the SST line.

Perhaps I ran into a bad batch. Perhaps it was just sheer coincidence. But after the third instance of poor performance, I moved back to the Nosler 120 BT and 130 AB.

The picture of the 123 grain SST below (recovered from the hog in the other photo) is typical of the performance I had been getting -- about as close to perfect as one could hope for. Again, I never judge a bullet by a single episode of questionable performance, but three instances took me aback somewhat.

John, if you happen to know if they've changed the 123 grainer in the past 2 years, please let me know. They shot incredibly well with N160, and an average of six 3-shot groups at 200 yards from my 24" MGM Contender barrel in 6.5x30-30 AI was barely over 0.9".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]