Originally Posted by MarineHawk
.340 Wby Cor-Bon 225gr TTSX.

Can this be beat?

Here’s what it does based on my chrono out of my Mk V Accumark 26” bbl:

Rng / Vel. / Impact / KE / 10mph Drift
000 / 3160 / -1.75 / 4989 / 0.00
Sighted in 2-1/4” high at 100 yds, at 350 yds, without ever reaching 3” above the sight line: the bullet is only 6.4” low, is moving at over 2,500 fps, and has more energy than a 30-06 at the muzzle. Can anything beat that? Or almost 2,600 ft-lbs at 500 yds (as much as a .308 at the muzzle)?

For this purpose, please ignore recoil. I regularly have shot 1/2” and 3/4” groups with this rifle off the bench. In the field, I shot this guy with it three times at about 100 yds offhand in three or four seconds. I never felt anything more than the recoil of a Crossman bb gun with all of the excitement.
Assuming one can shoot it well (the rifle does its part), is there any more lethal elk hunting rifle/cartridge combo out there?

I’m not suggesting that there are not other super-capable elk rifles out there, but this one is pretty good.

If we are going to ignore recoil, the answer is "Yes, this rifle can be beat."

If we are going to consider recoil, the answer is the same.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.