Well, for me: I don't shoot at game animals over 300 yards any more. So a 340 Weatherby isn't something that I'd "need".

I've used a 338 Win Mag with 250 Nosler Partitions more than all other combinations combined - for elk. I keep reading that the 338 is more than what is needed. But I like the way it worked for me. Now, it seems that I'm getting long in the tooth (came up on me suddenly). Next elk tag, I'm not sure that I'll be using the 338. If I do, I might try lighter mono's.
I sold two 338's and I might sell my Win 70 338 with claw extractor. I have lots of brass and bullets though, even a couple boxes of factory Nosler 250 grain Partitons and if I sold that 338 then what??? With all those bullets and brass I'd need to buy another 338, I suppose.

But if someone wanted a 338 Win 70 with claw extractor and bunches of brass and bullets and factory loads...

I have a few other belted mags -- more than I "need" too. I don't think a 340 is in my future.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/16/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally