Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Lee, that same Seyfried article in G&A started me out on the 340 which lasted some twenty years and resulted in some 9 or ten bulls and some other game. Mine was based off a Rem 700 which I modified here and there but probably the best thing I did was put it in a Brown Prec Classic stock with a good Pachmayr Decelerator pad. I really liked the set-up and loved the cartridge.

This “elk-rifle-can’t-be-beat” stuff is always interesting but is the conclusion of experiences highly subjective to the shooter. From cocktail-time cartridges on either end of the spectrum to a pile of them in between, with the right projectiles, there are many right answers as I see it.

"The 340 can be sluggish and difficult".....I remember that in Handloader, in response to "G.D.V."

I always thought the 340 would be the ticket; never loaded for one, but it seemed like Ross said, the 338/RL-22 could "rub shoulders" with big brother, at least with most published data at the time. Pretty much loaded two 338's to within 100-150 fps. of the 340 with 225-250g. bullets

It really ain't no slouch with RL-25 either and 250's.

We’re getting 2950 with the wife’s.338. ( 225 TTSX’s and RL 22), from a 24” barrel. No idea of pressures....but it seems fine. Still “not” in the class of the 340! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024