For crying out loud, thanks a lot, Gunner!!! You just practically turned my .340 into a .30 Carbine.

All, here’s the pic:

[Linked Image]

Let me know if you ever want to sell that thing.

So, even though the Nosler boxes containing the .340 Wby factory-loaded 300gr ABs say that the 300gr AB is a “Long Range” variant, the Nosler website lists the 300gr bullet as a standard AB with a spec minimum velocity of 1,800 fps. The 265gr is identified as a LR AB with a spec minimum velocity of 1,300 fps. I think/suspect that the LR and std ABs primarily are different as to impact performance up front, and the LR AB has a thinner jacket up front but similarly thick base. At least that’s what the pics seem to show. I would feel comfortable shooting the 265gr LRAB at just about anything. I shot through about two feet of deer, including some bone, in the pic above with a 168gr LR AB, and it made that huge exit hole. Adding another 100grs of bullet to that I think would do fine on almost anything---certainly anything short of a giant brown bear---on this continent. Personally, I would be fine with it for anything. It wouldn't really be an improvement in your gun though until you got out past 1,000 yds.