irfubar,

The vast majority of "sporterized" military Mausers are fine from a safety standpoint, though there ARE some that are "messed up" but good. = I find that the VAST majority of "Bubba-ed" military Mausers are just "cut down" & "refinished" without many actual changes that effect the safety of the rifle.
(Truthfully, I am AGAINST turning a GOOD rifle in full military dress into a "sporter", when there are so many of the NON-collectable ones out there that are already "civilianized".)

My advice, IF you are NOT competent to actually inspect a "sporterized" rifle for completeness/safety is to GET EXPERT help.

Incidentally, my TREASURED 9.3x62mm rifle for HEAVY game was once a circa-1969 (and CHEAP to buy) .30-06 Remington Model 760 pump-rifle. It was re-formatted by Jessie at JES & money won't buy it, as it cuts ONE ragged hole with a 5-shot group well past 100M (presuming that I do my part).
Note: Where I generally hunt in the South TX "brush country", you cannot SEE a deer/exotic/hog/predator more than 50M, unless you are shooting down a powerline right of way or across a "bean field" from a tower blind. = YEP, the brush IS that thick.

I guess that, in addition to being a southpaw, that I'm a Model 760 addict, as I have 8 of them in calibers from .244 to the 9.3x62mm & IF I'm not reaching for the 9.3, it's the circa 04/1954 in .300 SAV that I reach for "WT sized game".

just my OPINIONS, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 09/05/18. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836