Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by sidepass
Built mine on a JC Higgins model 51 . FN Belgium commercial action.

This would be a really good avenue for MM to take, buy a JCH in 270 or '06 in the classifieds, send it to JES, cerakote all metal and slap it into a McMillan, a matte 1.75-6 Leupold guiding 286 gr Partitions would handle the rest smile

Except that the Higgins had chrome bores. JES may not want to drill a chrome line bore. But, otherwise, the most cost effective approach is to typically start with a commercial receiver as they are most often already scope ready.

In this case the OP stated he wanted an "old Mauser". Lotsa folks like the look of the non-commercial receiver better, more traditional.

That's pretty much it. I like the look of the thumb cut out on the military versions.

After looking around though it seems the Husqvarna 146 has the cut out as well. Is that a commercial or military action? Learning a ton about the different iterations of Mausers over the last couple days. Lot of stuff out there.

Excited to see what I have with the barreled action. Should be here next week. May just pick up a 146 as well and see whats what.

Thanks for all the input fellas!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”