Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Everyone seems to be missing the question in my post.

Why does this site seem to be so predisposed to this happening? I am no tech guy at all. And I don't understand the process of running a site like this, but I look at this empirically and I see these problems nowhere else but here???

Because the owner makes money off the advertisements and isn't going to shut down his income stream. We complain, it gets ignored, and life goes on.

Sorry, but that's a touch cynical.

Re-directs are the bane of online advertising, and multimillions of dollars are spent within the industry yearly to combat it. I absolutely hate them, and I get rid of them whenever I can.

That's the thing, it's not always something within our control. Sometimes it's cellular networks (so only customers of ATT or Sprint, etc. are targeted). Sometimes it's individual wifi networks. Sometimes it's regional. Sometimes it's intrusions into major advertising networks including Google, AOL, and the like. Sometimes it's only mobile users, or Safari, or Firefox.

What you will notice is that rarely is it anything but contained. If it was sitewide (and rarely it has been), I can track it down and nuke it. But you'll notice that normally it is a handful of people, and that often one subset of users have it and other subsets do not.

I am on today on my laptop, PC, iPhone, a borrowed Mac, on various wifi networks, home and out and about, hardline, and on cellular. I have had zero redirects today.

Later tonight I will get my hands on some Android devices and try again.

Believe me, we are anything BUT pro-redirects.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine