Originally Posted by srwshooter
Originally Posted by 603Country
I quit gutting deer a few years ago. I hang em, skin em, take the backstrap and debone the hindquarters and some of the shoulder meat. Then we put the meat on ice for a few days, draining off the water occasionally. If it’s a gamey buck, we’ll salt the ice (a tip I got from a lady hog hunter).

The gamey taste isn’t spoilage. It’s in the blood. That’s what a few days on the salt and ice do, is to remove the blood.

Many years ago I spent some time trying to get within range of a big buck who loved eating wild onions. He often fed in a big patch of them. Finally got him. His blood had a strong onion odor. My hands smelled like onions after I cleaned and deboned him and so did the meat when we cooked it. I think 3 or 4 days of the meat in salted ice might have made that meat edible.

The grandson killed a big stinking hog last season. I’d have thrown it away, but he was a starving college kid and wanted the meat. That’s when I first tried the salted ice soak. After a couple of days, the wife cooked a bit of backstrap just to see how it tasted. It was great. Not at all gamey/stinky.

Try it.

well,to this I say ,bullshit!! blood always leave a animal faster when its warmer. I never soak or ice down a deer. all you do then is bleach the blood out and ask for bacteria to grow.

Bacteria growth happens at temps above 40 degrees. The only way to "ask for bacteria to grow" is to let all the ice melt and the temp inside the cooler reach 40 or above. Meat naturally has a lot of water in its composition. If it was a problem on its own, hanging a deer would not work.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn