Originally Posted by srwshooter
can't figure this one out. I gut every animal that i'm planning to eat as soon as I get to it. I can't figure why anyone would not do this. I want the blood out of my deer or bear as soon as possible. when I was young the first time I was around hog butchering they shot one,and stuck him right away to drain the blood. if it wasn't for scalding them they would have just gutted them right away.

I have had to look for a few deer that I have shot and finding one 6hrs later then gutting the meat holds a lot more blood.

10 days on ice in a cooler will alleviate that problem. Generally 7-10 days on ice for any deer we shoot anyway. Often we wont' disturb our area after the shot, or we have to wait some before we go to camp to clean the deer. Preferred to clean all at camp, as its easier and cleaner on the deer.

Regardless they get the ice treatment, though this year its stayed in the 50s or less for a week or more twice and I've just let em hang gutted with skin on at home until cutting em.

As far as draining blood from vessels, thats generally what killed the deer to start with before we got close to em.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....