Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Gutting or not gutting , field dressing or not field dressing depends on your hunting situation, geography, timing, temps , method of removal from the woods and facility's. There is no one right way. Only the best way for the situation. This is not directed at anyone on this threadbut I I notice some on the Fire fail to see the sense in some things as they fail to take into consideration that hunters find themselves in many different situations.

Totally agreed. And you just described the provincial thread originator to a tee. smile

I’ve done both and you’re correct. It all depends on the situation. I’ve packed meat out in a pack and never touched the guts. Reason was where I happened to be hunting I didn’t have access to a machine to haul him out or a place to hang it for easy butchering. I cut the hide down the top middle of the back and peeled each side open. Took the backstrapes out shoulders off,deboned the hind quarters and slipped in each side for the tenders. Cut the neck and head off and in two trips had everything. I divided it up evenly and strung half up in a heavy duty laundry bag I pack so the yotes and wolves didn’t get it and packed out. If I can’t hang it this is what I do. If I’m hanging it I gut it immediately, hang it up and pull the hide off when it’s still warm.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.