300 Mag, I have a few 7 mags and one custom 6.5 creed.

The 7 Mags are all rem 700's, custom stocks, bedded, tuned triggers, bedded, freefloated barrels, muzzle breaks on all of them. These remignton 700's are extremely accurate shooting 2.5-3.5" groups at 600 yards.

160g Accubonds with 70-71g of Retumbo, Rem brass, Fed 215, bullet touching the lands shoots clover leafs at 100.

Having said that, We hunted off of mules in Az. I shot cow elk with a 243 loaded with 100g Partitions and H4831 at 3050 fps, Rem 700's. Shots were not long, and all the cows hit the ground within 20' of being hit...they were not scared of the mules and never saw the man sitting on the mule.

With the fascination with the 6.5 along with TV shows that are heavily edited, I would not like to see guys get sucked into a worst case scenario. It is a very hollow feeling to know that you have to chase a wounded elk down into the roughest, rockiest canyon that you could imagine. I could not even get my mules down into some of this treacherous terrain.

Before you pull down on an elk, think of how you are going to get to that animal, and what happens if you make a bad hit. Know your trajectory on up and down hill shooting, especially if you are quartering up the animal and packing them out on your back.

Some broke dicks could not even pack out the meat you will bone of a bull's neck, must less both of the back straps. The same broke dicks will probably bring a leatherman on their belt to help butcher what they shoot! Hind quarters are 200 lbs plus.

Dam, use enough gun! All this internet schitt is just mind blowing with all the minimalist bull schitt! The average joe can barely hit a bull in the azz with a base fiddle! Who are you kidding!

If you are a city guy with a hunt scheduled with a decent guide, pick a 7 RM or a 300 win and get proficient with good elk bullets. City guys with out access to long range shooting, will not shoot like TV EXPURTS!

I wonder how many [bleep] posting this BS have ever trailed a gut shot elk, cow or bull?

Last edited by keith; 12/25/18.