Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by dogwater
I just shot an elk with the 6.5 creedmoore 1/12/19. I shot an antelope with it at the beginning of the season. I had a late season cow tag and wanted to try the 6.5 cm. The antelope was shot with the Hornady eldx and I thought it came apart to easy on the small animal. I used a Swift scirroco on the elk. It's dead but no reaction for quite a while 400 yard shot and no indication I hit it. Glad I was in the open instead of timber I will never use the 6.5 cm on elk again. Just my opinion. It kills them but not what I would consider a decent elk cartridge. I'm back to the 7 mag for elk killing. FYI the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side diaphragm. Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

You're bitching about an elk going 50-75 yds? You must usually shoot drugged elk. And maybe the problem is that you picked a "tough" bullet shot at fairly moderate velocity at an animal at a fairly long distance, and expected some lightning-bolt-kill, instead of a relatively small wound channel that efficiently put down the elk. Maybe you should have stuck with the ELD-X. Maybe you make the mistake that many make: that if a bullet comes apart on a smaller animal, it will DEFINITELY FAIL on a larger one. This is wrong. I don't know why so many who have killed so many animals still believe this.

Maybe you should take some accountability for your choices, for your own ignorance, instead of blaming a headstamp. JMO.

Wow, you act like the guy just ran over your dog? He's just giving his opinion base on "his" experience.

"Use whatever works for you. In my opinion it's too light for elk where and how I hunt."