Originally Posted by dogwater
I just shot an elk with the 6.5 creedmoore 1/12/19. I shot an antelope with it at the beginning of the season. I had a late season cow tag and wanted to try the 6.5 cm. The antelope was shot with the Hornady eldx and I thought it came apart to easy on the small animal. I used a Swift scirroco on the elk. It's dead but no reaction for quite a while 400 yard shot and no indication I hit it. Glad I was in the open instead of timber I will never use the 6.5 cm on elk again. Just my opinion. It kills them but not what I would consider a decent elk cartridge. I'm back to the 7 mag for elk killing. FYI the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side diaphragm. Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

People sling an arrow and an animal is recovered within that distance, never complain. JS.

It may not flatten game, but kills them dead. If I want a solid WHACK and blood trail, I would use a 338, 358 with 225 grain, or a 9.3 with 250 or 286gr. Just me.

No perfect round for everything, but a good bullet thru vitals, does the deed w/o regard to what launches it.