Originally Posted by Brad
Here's what Finn Aagaard had to say about the penetration of the 6.5x55 vs the 30-06 in his excellent Hunting Rifles & Cartridges.

In the test, the 140's from the 6.5x55 were loaded at 2,700 fps. Right where the 6.5 Creedmoor lives.

Finn doesn't list the 30-06/180 speed, but based on his extensive writing about that round, I think it's safe to assume 2,750 fps +/-

[Linked Image]

Thanks for sharing. That does not surprise me. Only critter I shot was a Muley and the 139 Scenar went in one side and out the other doing significant damage to the offside lung. For reference, my 139-143 weight bullets all run 2750-2790. Nothing in my limited experience gives me reason to pause about using it on an elk.

I've shot quite a few bullets from 308s, 338-06, 338 Fed and 6.5 Creedmoor into damp media and the well built 6.5s do quite well. I include about 2" of particle board at the front to test the bullets a bit more. Finn was right, dry paper is really hard on bullets. Too hard for most cup and core bullets. For reference, the 139 Scenar did not open on the particle board and only once it was a couple inches into the damp media, then it out penetrated every 6.5 bullet I tried. On the mule deer, it made a small hole the first few inches then created a very nice wound channel and blew a nice sized hole out the off side. There is something different in the 139s construction from other C&C bullets.

Last edited by prm; 12/26/18.