Originally Posted by rost495
We've had ones that stunk bad when we walked up. Doesn't matter what we did they smelled when you cooked them too. Yes we know how to clean a pig properly etc... Didn't taste bad but the smell made it tough to eat.

Our rule now is nothing thats old, they are generally tough. Even sows. And if there is a strong odor when you walk up, no way at all.

Beyond that doesn't matter to us, male/female, the rest have all been very good, not just edible.

Seems our history mirrors the kid's too. LOL.

100%

That's my rule. If you can smell a boar fifteen feet away when walking up, leave him for the buzzards.

Other wise, fair game!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got to where in my old age, I don't alway skin em' out completely

Lotsa times these days, it depends on the time of year and whether it is morning or eve. Due to a lots of hard knocks, at 67 I've got to where if I've been up since five and it's just getting dark at 9 PM and I don't get the critter back till 10 or 10:30 PM, I just take the backstraps.

[Linked Image]

An example.

Where we hunt there is no cell service except in a couple areas. My bud and I left camp about 10 PM to go down to one of those area where we could get signal and call our wives, make sure no state of emergency existed. On the way back we decided to check a pen I've set up with trap door for catching hoglets. Well as it turned out we had about 15 hogs in the pen. I had my shotgun with 5 rounds and my glock 43 with 7 rounds. Bill had his Kimber and 8 rounds IIRC. Well we killed till we ran out of bullets. Now mind you we are in the dark, holding lights while these pigs in a 30' x 30' pen are going bat-schitt crazy. So we made our withdrawal, drove the mile back to camp and got my trailer and more ammo and came back and finished the job. Next was to get them out of the pen. Well Hog panel is 32" high and the trap door is about 30" wide and 2' high. Good bit of liftin' went on. Two old farts who both have back problems. By time we got back to camp it was 1:30 AM..
I was in the mood/need of a beverage and 4 Ibuprofen. I stripped the loins out of one and called it good. As it was 90 degrees or so at 1:30 in the morning, wouldn't bee too long before the meat was green.

So I just take the backstraps/loins and don't bother to open them up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.