Originally Posted by High_Noon
My buddy told me he spoke to a biologist in the area that told him that mountain lions can be black. I have personally seen this animal on several occasions - it's definitely black or dark gray and it's definitely bigger than a Jaguarundi or a bobcat. Whether or not it's a mountain lion I cannot say. I guess it could be a Jaguar and I could give a [bleep] if you believe I've seen it or not.

Well that's good for you then because TBH I don't believe you. I've never in all my days seen a single picture or even heard of a single example of a black mountain lion. You'd think if there were, there would pics posted somewhere. Especially in this day and age of game cams and cell phones with cameras. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to admit it. This was taken right from the OK DEPT. OF WILDLIFE:

"Though a popular myth, black panthers do not exist in the wild in North America. A black panther is a melanistic version of a large cat, usually an African leopard or a jaguar. These can sometimes be seen in zoos. Melanistic refers to the unusual black coloration produced by a hereditary, genetic mutation. There has never been a black mountain lion documented anywhere in their range."