Originally Posted by FieldGrade
For anyone interested.......Liin Hunter and houndsman, Warner Glenn has an excellent book with some great pix of Jaguars (or the scarcity of) in So. AZ.

You used to be able to order an Autographed Copy directly from him but I'm not sure if those are still available.....or if he's still alive. I have one and cherish it.

https://colablancaproductions.com/products/eyes-of-fire-encounter-with-a-borderlands-jaguar

Warner photographed that jaguar in 1995 in the Peloncillo Mountains, just south of the Geronimo Trail where it crosses Cottonwood Pass--in New Mexico.

Almost exactly 10 years later, he was hunting in the San Luis Mountains down on the Diamond A Ranch (also in New Mexico). He left the guest hunter with his daughter Kelly and two of the Diamond A cowboys, and went looking for a couple of his dogs that had gone off on their own. After a bit, he heard them barking treed and rode up to find that they had bayed up another large male jaguar, just a mile or so north of the Mexican border.

The cat was backed up under a gnarled old juniper in a rocky crevice and was slapping and snarling at the dogs which were emboldened by Warner's arrival. He just had time to snap a few good pictures before he realized that the cat was getting ready to leave--and through the dogs was its only way out. He got his dogs gathered up and gave the jaguar some room, and it high-tailed it for Mexico.

His pictures from that episode are even better than the ones in "Eyes of Fire," but I don't believe that they have ever been published.

Last edited by mudhen; 01/28/19.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...