Originally Posted by DarlaG
Valsdad; All,

I type to suit me & nobody else. - As far as I know, nobody here has been appointed as "the official monitor" of any other member's posts.
Everyone might also consider the old saying that, "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all."

Fyi, my dissertation committee said that my writing style was "somewhat eccentric but perfectly acceptable", so I'd guess that my writing is "OK".
(If you are actually bothered by my "admittedly odd" style & also fail to comment solely "on content", I suggest that you just "scroll on by". - I promise that I wont be offended by you not reading anything that I write.)

Fyi, it's been my experience that old grad school prof was 100% correct, when he said, "Those who seem to be led to make comments on "form", fail to make cogent comments on "content" generally have little of merit to contribute to the conversation. If their comments also fail to illustrate "critical thought", intelligent & educated persons would do well to ignore their inane complaints."

just my opinions, tex

tex, please note above text in bold.

Now, please reread this from my post:

"tex/darla/ whoever, Some readers here, myself included, are quite put off by arcane acronyms and abbreviations. I understood LA to mean Louisiana as I was pretty sure there haven't been any jaguar sightings in Los Angeles (LA). And many of us also abhor statements and references to "facts" that are not corroborated in the post and when questioned we are directed to look it up ourselves. I've enjoyed some of your posts in the past, the ones in this thread not so much."

My comments in that paragraph are specifically related to the CONTENT in your posts. And I'd be willing to bet a goodly number of the readers here would consider my comments to be quite "cogent".

example the first: " arcane acronyms and abbreviations." said in regards to your use of the acronym for Latin America. That is CONTENT in your posts, no? I certainly don't know where you went to school, but going back as far as I can remember, even back to parochial grade school English, one is taught not to use acronyms and abbreviations prior to having used the complete word or phrase first in the document lest your reader is not aware of to what you are referring. By the time I was in college ANY paper I had turned in without first having used the word or exact phrase the abbreviation was meant to imply would have been returned to me with red marks for EVERY instance I used said acronym/abbreviation.

example the second: "And many of us also abhor statements and references to "facts" that are not corroborated in the post " said in regards to your statements regarding events that supposedly happened without providing references/information (a web link, a bank name and address, the name of the officer you said you know and believe). Again, I certainly hope that if you indeed did go to college (or even high school), you learned to at least provide said references when requested by someone reading/reviewing your writing.

I understand this is a public forum and as such not a scientific journal, but at times the nature of your statements has a number of the readers here shaking their heads and asking for clarification. If you cannot/will not (Secret Squirrel stuff, non-disclosure agreements excepted) provide the clarification, as in a weblink or a contact person's name, you will likely continue to be called out on it. You could opt to PM the requester with the info if you think it is of such a private nature that the rest of us here should not view it.

Your continued deflections and reluctance to back up certain statements reminds me of the folks here who make blanket statements, such as one I've been trying to get to back up his statement with evidence on another thread.

If you wrote in college (you mentioned a dissertation) as you do now, then your professors/committee did you and society a disservice for allowing you to pass with such CONTENT in your documents. And apparently from your statement above your committee allowed such writing to pass scrutiny. I am betting you DID NOT write your dissertation in the ANNOYING style of using ALL CAPS as often as you do in many of your posts. If it suits you to write that way, go write ahead (intended misspelling?, you guess, perhaps, it, pleases, me)

For your information ( FYI ), there are times when I do "scroll on by" your posts. They are difficult to read at times and some only seem to please you.

Enjoy your evening,

Geno

PS, I took notice that in your reply to me there was an astonishing (for you) lack of over capitalization of words. What's up with that? If you can write that way in that reply, why not most posts? crazy

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?