My wife has a 2018 4runner SR5 - That thing is one of the sweetest driving SUV's I have ever drove - get the RPM's up a bit and it has tones of power. Part of the reason we bought it was the known reliability of the 4.0/5 speed transmission combo in the 4 runner. No it may not be the most fuel efficient, but the 4 runner is the most 'bomb proof" reliable vehicle Toyota makes outside of the Land Cruiser.

Now with that said, I drive a 2018 Tundra (we kind of like Toyotas) and so far it is a very solid and powerful truck. No regrets at all (and I came from a 2016 ram cummins).

As far as mileage goes, my wife's 4 runner has 8k miles and my tundra has 22k miles - she averages about 18.5 overall and I average about 16.5 overall. If the Tacoma gets the same fuel mileage as the 4 runner, not sure I would go with the smaller truck for 2 mpg...

(When I tow my 8500 pound toyhauler, I average around -9-10 mpg, BUT with the 35 gallon fuel tank, I don't worry too much about having stops in between my camping/hunting destinations)