I bought my 07 4X4 DC TRD Tacoma new 12 years ago next month. It'll roll over onto 200,000 miles in a couple of weeks. So far I've replaced the alternator, shocks, and the HVAC motor. Other than that it has just been tires, brakes, battery and fluids. Best truck I've ever owned.

But it is small with limited towing and hauling capability. I waited until my kids were grown and out of the house to go to a smaller truck. It did fine until 3 years ago. I now have 4 grandkids ranging from 11 down to 1. We needed a bigger truck. We kept the Tacoma and I bought a 2 year old 2014 F150 crew cab in 2016. The Tacoma was worth more to me than I would have gotten in trade. While they are great trucks make sure you can get by with one that small.

Another thing to at least think about. Toyota redesigned the Tacoma in 2015 (I think) and replaced the 4.0 with a 3.5 engine. There are more than a few complaints about the newer 3rd generation Tacomas.

The last long road trip from GA to the Grand Canyon, up through southern Utah and back across Colorado to GA netted me 20.0 mpg average for the trip. I got as much as 23 on one tank to as little as 15-16 on others depending on the terrain. Made a similar 4100 mile road trip with the F150 about a month ago and got 19.3 overall. Fuel mileage isn't that much different and the Ford will haul and tow a LOT more than the Tacoma.

I looked hard at Tundra's 3 years ago, but on the used market simply couldn't find one that checked off all the boxes at a price I'd pay. The Ford I bought did, or I'd have bought a Tundra. But 3 years, and 50,000 miles into the Ford I don't have any regrets. The Tundra will get 2-3 mpg worse than Ford or Tacoma. But that ain't as big a deal as some make it out to be. It comes up to about 7-8 gallons more fuel to drive 1000 miles. That would have been about one more tank of fuel to complete my 4100 mile road trip last month.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.