Mule Deer; All,

Inasmuch as 'ole Otto Bock designed his 9.3x62mm specifically for hunting moose, reindeer, Red Deer & wild boar in the forests of Europe. - The caliber worked so well on large European game that German colonists in Africa started using the caliber for dangerous game there, where it proved to be very suitable for farmers/ranchers there in much the same role that the Winchester & other makers (mostly) LA rifles served in the USA/Canada. = A rifle that was suitable for taking the game that was native to that area & that could easily be carried by a horseman.

For farmers/ranchers, the BIG double rifles were too heavy & clumsy to carry easily across the pommel of a saddle AND those double-rifles were VERY expensive when compared to the Mauser-based BA.. - Also, a BA rifle of the sort that Mauser made did not require a gunbearer to hunt with when afoot..

I don't know about the rest of the 9.3x62 "addicts" like me, but I don't even consider the old 9.3x62 as a rifle for long range & consider as it as a "powerhouse" at 200M or less for ANY big game, Worldwide.
(Many rhino, Cape Buffalo, lion, large antelope, zebra & elephant were efficiently taken with the 9.3x62 using LONG, heavy for caliber, round-nose bullets of 270 grains or more.)

Personally, I use only TWO sorts of bullets in my 9.3x62.: The 286 grain JSP/solid or my homebrew about 280 grain GCCB. - BOTH bullets work well at the range & for hunting the game animals for which the so-called "Big Mauser" was designed.
(I really don't see a real need for a <250 grain bullet in the 9.3x62, though obviously everyone is free to use whatever weapon that they choose.)

just my OPINION, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836