Tex,

I have read a LOT about the history of the 9.3x62, and have yet to find a reference that suggests Otto Bock designed it primarily for larger European game. Instead all the histories of the cartridge I've found state that it was primarily designed for German settlers in Africa, as a round suitable for anything there that would fit and function in the standard K98 action. If you have original sources that suggest otherwise, would like to hear about them.

Dunno why somebody would refuse to use modern powders and bullets in an older cartridge, just because that's not the way it was originally designed. Otherwise the .30-06 would be stuck with 150-grain spitzers at 2700 fps and 220 roundnoses at 2400. Using higher ballistic coefficient, controlled-expansion 250's at 2650 fps makes the 9.3x62 much more versatile. Have used it quite handily to 300+ yards, and also up close, on a LOT of big game in both North America and Africa with fine results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck