Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by greydog
.... Altered bolt handles are mandatory, of course, as are safeties ...GD

Why are such changes mandatory?

some of the best Mauser shops across the globe are still turning out new rifles for customers with original spec.
Oberndorf bolt handles and Mauser shroud safety.

if I had my time again with throwing heavy money at custom mausers, I would stay with what I just mentioned.
but At the time I got sold on the over-rated bullCHITT popular modern changes that are all the rage with some folk.

The original bolt handle sticks straight out to the side and is awkward to use. It will not, of course, clear a scope. At best, the handle is no more than bent down and will clear only a very high mounted scope.
The original bolt sleeve safety is just fine and is really perfect as a safety; unless you want to use a scope. I like Beuhler-type replacement safeties just fine (on the left side, mind you) although one loses the intermediate position. Those turning out "original spec" Mausers are still building modern hunting rifles which can mount a scope. The Model-70 type safeties are OK and I have one on my Whelen but I actually like the Buehler better in use.
The fact that Big Stick is not a fan is a pretty strong endorsement for the Mauser. GD