Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I came across an 18” fluted 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 barrel and now I need an AR10 education.

From my reading there are not the standards that exist in the AR15 world.

My goal is a lighter weight rifle without going nuts spending money chasing all the ounces. 7-8 pounds without scope is the goal versus the ~13 pound guns out there.

Can you point me in a direction for the basics or line them out for me here?

For starters, given your desire for a reasonably light weight rifle - pay close attention to weights of the receivers and handguard you buy (and barrel, but you already have that). In the large frame guns, it's easy to end up with a heavy tank of a rifle if you don't pay attention to the weights.

A couple other things to know that come to mind:

- Do some reading on DPMS vs Armalite (AR10) pattern. Most of us use the term "AR10" as a generic catch-all for the 308 ARs, but technically AR10 and the DPMS pattern 308 are two different things. DPMS pattern parts are more common and seem to be the way the 308 AR industry is going IMO. There is also "high rail" and "low rail" within the DPMS pattern, low rail is the most common.

- Receivers are best bought as matching pairs, or at least from the same manufacturer. Don't expect Brand A upper to match perfectly with Brand B lower, since they are not standardized like the AR15, as you mentioned.

- for the recoil system, you can use either one of two combinations of parts - a standard length (AR15) buffer tube and special 308 buffer, or a 308 length (extended) buffer tube and standard AR15 buffer. Personally I prefer the extended buffer tube because the AR15 buffers are more common.

- Pretty much all 308 ARs have some combination of proprietary and standard AR15 internal parts - which parts are proprietary depends on the manufacturer. Most can use standard AR15 triggers (but not all), but other parts such as takedown pins, bolt catch, etc may be proprietary to the receiver manufacturer.

- Plan to use an adjustable gas block from the start. You'll most likely need it.

Hope that helps.

You hit on a lot of good points. When I was looking for an "AR10", I contemplated building my own, but then realized it would be far easier to buy one because the "AR10" is not so much "plug and play" like the ar15. I did research and found this to be useful information:

AR10 308 COMPATIBILITY

I damn near bought a Remington like the previous poster bought. That seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, but happened to luck into a real AR10 (Armalite) and decided to buy that.... That way, I can actually call mine an AR10 and not get scrutinized about it grin... Mine doesn't have an adjustable gas block either, but that's how the cookie crumbles. I believe one would be nice, but I'm not messing with my rifle, as it runs like a fu cking top...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only thing I noticed was when running factory ammo (federal gold medal match), the rifle had a few hiccups. But that was remedied with a little grease on the bolt. My AR15's can run damn near dry, but not this AR10..... No failures of any kind now, after finding that out...

Good luck to the OP. A 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 would be bad azzed...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA