Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

JPro, how accurate is your rifle? I'm talking black rifle challenge accuracy? I am curious, because I was seriously thinking about buying a Remington R25 like yours. I've heard they shoot well. I also hear you on the mags. What would be the best option for guys wanting a 5 round mag for hunting? That could be good info to pass along to the OP... As for me, I only use Armalite mags in mine....

My rifle, being a sample of one, shot 3/4MOA for the last two 3-shot groups I shot with it, one at 100yds and one at 200yds, both shooting W-W Deer Season XP ammo. With that ammo being so cheap, I'm not worried about handloading for it right now. The rifle probably only has 50 rounds through it so far. Some 155 Scenar handloads I put through it to first get it on paper and break it in shot MOA or slightly better. I also tried some W-W Copper Impact ammo, thinking it might be good for hogs (and cheap for a TTSX clone), but they were closer to 1.5-2 MOA. Two bolt guns didn't like them either though, so it appears to not be a very forgiving factory load. So the R-25 seems to shoot about as well as I'd expect from a bedded 700 factory sporter. I did swap my trigger for a Rock River Varmint model ($89). The factory trigger was clean, but around 5lbs, so I pulled the RR trigger from by general purpose AR15 and swapped them around.

For magazines, the 4rnd mag that came with the gun has always worked perfectly.

So if you had a do-over, what would you change? I ask because I've been pondering that exact rifle for some time as my next hunting rifle. Neither it or the DPMS Hunter seem to get much coverage/reviews, so finding someone with real experience like you is a plus smile