John, your description of using the Custom Chronograph with the break-screens brings back memories. I bought one in 1979 (partnering with a friend of mine) by driving to the owner of Custom Chronographs house and buying directly from him as he only lived about 30 miles away from where I lived at that time. I also set it up on a wooden 2x4 and clamped that to a old camera tripod.

I never had sky-screens for mine and eventually bought out my friend's share of the chronograph along with his extra break screens. That old Custom Chronograph always worked even though it might set around for years between uses. I was very frugal with the use of it because after Custom Chronographs went out of business I had no supply of additional break-screens. It probably would still work if I hadn't throw it away a few years ago. My friend didn't use it much perhaps because his velocities were over 200 fps less than he thought they were doing in his modified M 94 Swedish Mauser carbine in 6.5X55. Another friend was also disappointed in his 270 Winchester hand loads velocities. I used it mainly with my dearly beloved 7X57 and since I had settled on a good load for that rifle had little need to chronograph loads as I had few if any other rifles at the time in my life.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson