Shinbone,

I avoided the LabRadar for quite a while, because of reading about its limitations, both in caliber and velocity. I test a wide variety of rifles (and handguns and shotguns), usually at least 5 at a time during any range session. It did not sound like the ideal chronograph for my purposes, but eventually (being a responsible journalist) had to try one to see if my assumptions were correct, so bought one.

Loved it for the first half-dozen sessions. As you note, it's very easy to set up and use, particularly if you shoot on a public range. (I usually don't, but sometimes do.) The velocity results were exactly the same as recorded on my Oehler 35P, given the difference between muzzle velocity (LR) and 15 feet in front of the muzzle (Oehler). I also really liked getting actual muzzle velocity, though correcting for it from light-screen velocities isn't difficult.

Eventually I did test it with sub .22 caliber bullets, and loads over 4000 fps, which LR's info mentions. And they did not record, as predicted. That was OK, since probably 98% of my chronographing is within those limits.

Eventually, however, I ran into some problems. First was the necessity for resetting the velocity parameters from most centerfire rifles to the lower velocity setting for handguns, shotguns, some muzzleloaders and some blackpowder cartridge loads. Resetting wasn't difficult, but required some time--and battery life.

Then one day I had several rifles at the range, and was shooting some loads for an article involving a high-BC 6mm bullet, with a small flat base at the rear due to the long, tapered boattail. The LR would not pick up that bullet, even though it did fine with others with the same set-up, including flat-base .224s. Luckily, I had brought along the Oehler as well, and was able to finish the session.

Found the LR great within its limitations, but I spend a lot of time at the range testing stuff, and eventually realized it was costing me too much time--which in any profession is money. If the LabRadar folks ever develop a model that overcomes the present model's limits, would definitely buy another. But after actually trying the present version, my pre-use assumptions were confirmed, plus a couple of others.

It's fine unit for those shooters with less variable needs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck