When Dad died back in 2011, Mom didn't last long in the house. She just wasn't up to it. For a couple of years, we left things as they were, and then I decided it would be better for us to move into his house and let the other one sit empty. His was the better of the two, and it was going to be easier to watch if we were there. In 2013, we moved in with just our toothbrushes, and have been dribbing stuff in from the other place since.

Moving into his place was a bit weird. KYHillChick and I slept in his bed for a few weeks until we got ours moved over. Everything was just as he'd left it down to the wash in the wash basket. Right away I had things to fix around the house, and Dad was more than a little disorganized. I found myself frequently calling out in vexation things like, "Dad! Where did you leave the spare ballcocks?" A few minutes later, I'd find them in with the light switches. "Dad? Where's your extension cord?" It'd be under a pile of newspaper.

To this day, I'll find myself calling out, "Dad, I could really use some 10-penny nails." Shortly thereafter, I'll knock over a coffee can and they'll be in there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer