Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by 12344mag

So he was worth the raise but you let him go.............Hard to wrap my head around that one. As hard as it is to find decent employees these days I would think one would want to keep a good one when they found one.

Why didn’t you tell him he was deserving of the raise, but he wasn’t getting it until he was there 6 months?

I would have played it by ear. Every employee is different. Generally, I would have tried to negotiate the 6 month deal, because that's when I generally give new guys a raise if they've worked out. If he was worth it, I would have given it to him. After 90 days, they qualify for health insurance, so why not a dollar raise if he's worth a schit. If he had hadn't come along as quick, I would have told him to wait until 6 months, and we'll revisit it. Some guys learn very quick, and some not at all.

With that said, I've been trying to hire a forklift/ bobcat/ loader operator for 4 months now and can't find anyone. Zero applications. I haven't been very aggressive in looking though. Just Help Wanted signs up. Good people are hard to come by.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan