Originally Posted by earlybrd
I know it’s a odd question but had to let a employee go the other day he kept pestering me for a dollar raise hadn’t been there 3 months I kept telling him to wait for 6 months I new he was worth the raise but he hadn’t been with me long enough to trust so discussing it with my wife when I got to bed I explained how long it took me to get to that amount and wished I could find an old check stub from that period I told her I was going to read awhile and picked up a book I hadn’t read in several years and low and behold when I opened it one of those stubs fell out that my dad had wrote who died in 2016 I own the business now and 3rd generation

the bolded part is not really relevant to another pesons ability to climb the career ladder. Times change and wages go up. A $1 an hour raise is $2000 a year, or $1000 for 6 months. So had you given it to the good employee, it would have set you back $500 over the 3 months. It costs more than that to hire another person before you have trained them at all. Must be some other reason you didn't really want to give him a raise. I would have gone the other route and kept the good employee, which could have been done with other ways than money most likely