Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Why was the guy working for less than he thought he was worth in the first place? I approached a local business about working part time as a machinist to supplement my income from teaching auto mechanics in a public school system where I was taking a pretty severe pay cut to have good health insurance for family members with expensive, chronic illnesses. We discussed the job and its responsibilities, and I asked for what I considered to be a fair wage. The business owner agreed, and I worked there for a little over three years. Yes, I had a key to the building and the alarm code, and I usually worked my own hours after closing time without any supervision. Quite by accident, I discovered that my "part time" wage was more than some of the full time employees were making. I'm very sure the work I was doing was making the business a profit, or they would not have kept paying me. When I owned a business I has some very simple rules for my employees- - - -"Get to work on time, earn your pay, and don't steal from me!" When a pay raise was appropriate I offered it before a good employee got around to asking. The ones who only worked enough to "break even" and didn't contribute to the success of the business didn't stay around long.
Jerry

The best time for an employee to get more money is BEFORE accepting a job offer.