Originally Posted by Hookset
I don't know the details of this latest program Trump signed off on, and I'm sure it's great politically, but I would like to know the details. I have no problem if a guy can't work because of combat injuries, but if one of my fellow retirees burned through his GI bill and then racked up student loans gets a pass on paying them back while the rest of us pick up his tab because he's a snoring lard-ass with a limp dick, I have an issue with that.

I agree. There's a helluna lot of difference between someone who has a true disability that prohibits them from being able to do the things that 99% of are able to do, and from the man that is being paid for a disability, but is able to do anything he wants to do. I know two brothers who were drafted, spent a couple of years in the army, and came out "disabled." They have been able to do anything they want, and one of them hunts all over the country, and brags about how far he walks while turkey hunting.

I was a mail carrier for 31 years, and a had several people on my route who were disabled veterans, and I never saw one of them who was not able to do anything they wanted to do. I have always believed that for every one of these disabled veterans who has a real disability, there are at least ten who have faked it, and are drawing money because of it.

Having said that, I'm all for a person who was really disabled while serving in the military to receive benefits for their injury, and have no problem with the student debt forgiveness thing. But, one must be very careful here in creating this precedent, because there have been thousands of these disabled vets, who in the past, worked their azz off to pay back their debts, and never once asked for any help. Is it fair to leave them out, and do something now.