Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thought about this thread last night. And came to the conclusion that I consider myself quite lucky as the vast majority of young folks I tend to hang around are extrememly versed in American and World history. They also have their heads on fairly straight and they are all gunowners. But it is also true they are the anomoly. But it does give me hope.

kaywoodie;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the day down in Bastrop County, TX is treating you well thus far.

I've just returned from a solo hunt trying to punch some sort of tag and looked up the thread here on the 'Fire. Of course since my usual hunting partner - our eldest daughter - decided to take a break from our usual forays into the local mountains as they'd been working long hours doing inventory at work - anyway because she wasn't there I saw and could very likely have brought home a fair to middling sized black bear, but saw no mulie bucks once again.

Lucky for that particular black bear my lifetime limit on his kind has been reached, although as a matter of course I always pack a black bear tag since it's much less paperwork to clip a tag rather than call the Ministry of Wildlife Conservation Officer in the unlikely but not unheard of event that another one just will not listen to reason.... Might I add I consider myself eminently reasonable when it comes to black bears. wink

To the topic at hand now then sir, I too was ruminating on this thread and hopefully it's okay I share a wee bit more.

At work I manage a crew of 4 young men, two in their early 30's, one who is about 24 and an 18 year old.

One of the 30 year old chaps is a hunter, so we'll just leave him in that category for the time being.

The other 30 something is married with a blended family of 3 kids, is a hard worker and wants to improve his lot in life as well as that of his family.

The 24 year old has a university degree in English with a minor in history and wants to go on to be a high school teacher next fall, finances and life permitting.

The 18 year old is saving money to go to university, though he's not entirely sure what he's going to take.

Besides the hunter, all of them are deeply involved with their phones like many of the younger folks are - but here's one of the offshoots I've noticed about that.

When discussing the current government's plans to confiscate some types of firearms from legal owners, none of them support it whatsoever. All of them indicated they felt it would do nothing to mitigate gangs from accessing whatever firearms they felt like using.

None of them felt it is a reasonable move on any governments part to use tax money to buy back private property which has been legally held by citizens who continually prove they're not breaking any laws with them.

If I may explain just a wee tad here, as owners of "restricted class" firearms in Canada, we are subject to daily background checks or at very least can be subject to them. Speaking personally I've been in that situation since I purchased my first firearm in that class, shortly after I turned 18 which is the legal age up here to do so.

The other interesting bit of tid to my way of thinking is that to varying degrees, all three of these young men do not trust mainstream media here in Canada or the US. They are much more prone to look at different blogs or podcasts on a subject that they feel is important and actually are quite versed on a number of issues facing us up here across the medicine line.

Before leaving that topic, I'll add that both our girls and their partners are very much the same way. Neither of them have any TV network hookup and don't plan to do so anytime soon if ever.

Anyway sir, as others have more eloquently than I already stated, I'm somewhat bullish on the next shift coming up - for the reasons stated above and more.

All the best to you and yours this fall kaywoodie.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"