John,

Congratulations on the partial retirement! This will leave additional time for more loony projects, and other fun things.

Yes, that is what happened to me back in October 1973. I had spent quite a bit of time scouting out at Joe Lee's place, and had found a big whitetail buck that had my undivided interest. I day dreamed about that buck for about 3 weeks. A few days prior to opening day, I had once again sighted in my rig at 25 yards, as recommended by O'Connor.

That morning, the whitetail I was after was sparring with a smaller buck. I waited for the perfect broadside shot, and when that presented, I made a careful shot--and nothing happened! The deer took off before I could fire again. Skunked. When I got back home, my mom admonished me, saying, "You've got to shoot them in the heart." I was crest-fallen. When I think about it now, I chuckle about her comment though.

After re-living that a few times in my mind, I suspected the shot went high. It was then that I walked to Bill Beyl's house. After he fired the first round and saw where it hit, he said, "It's no wonder why you missed, your rifle is sighted in for several hundred yards out--maybe even out to about 500 yards. I figure it would probably hit much higher than 3 inches high at 100 yards--might be as much as 5 inches high."

So, that's when I got the sight in lesson, where he taught me to zero one half inch high at 50 yards. You can be certain I got my buck the next time out--which really restored my confidence.

Today I do things a little differently, but always do a follow up at 100 yards, and time permitting, farther out.

Nevertheless, the half inch high at 50 method will always be handy in those various situations like you had when you were caribou hunting--it simply works when in a pinch.

I love articles like this, as they are part of what makes the field so interesting. Kind of like what Louise Shepard said about her husband Alan Shepard back in 1960 or 1961: "He reads the technical manuals--the kind, the Admirals and Generals say should be read..."

Fun times!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...