Many, many years ago I used to take a roll of "mad money" to the range with me, especially as hunting season approached. Now the "mad money" was not about me; instead it was intended to be used for the once-a-year shooter who got mad at their rifle and was ready to unload it right there, right now.

This was in fact how my custom .30-06 was born 22+ years ago. This fellow showed up at the range in business casual dress - docker slacks, loafers, etc. - lugging a new rifle box with him. Now those kind of folks always made me nervous and I always hoped they'd park themselves at the other end of the firing line from me. But this time he hit the brakes 2 benches from mine and in the end it worked out to my advantage.

I make it a point to mind my own business, but his anger and cussing was getting to a point where it was in my best interest to start paying attention. And then I saw it. He had a brand spankin' new M70 featherweight on the bags and 1 box of Winchester ammo next to it, probably because the rifle was a Winchester too.

I said to him from 2 benches down "You realize that rifle is supposed to have a scope on it, cuz there ain't no iron sights on the rifle and that's why there's no holes in your target".
"WHAAT?" "the guy didn't sell me the scope to go with this rifle!" I asked him where did he buy the rifle? "Walmart" "Well, perhaps you should go back there and get a scope and rings for the rifle. Don't forget the bases too." He was not having any of that, and that is when I made an cash offer to make his problems go away.

When I got back to the shack I called Rick the gunsmith and told him I had the donor action for the project. Rick looked over the rifle and bought both the stock and the barrel for other customers of his. I tossed in the Winchester box of remaining ammo gratis.

I stopped a long time ago going to the range on weekends and during sight-in season. Too many heart palpitations involved.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.