Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dan,

In 2011 I killed a Cape buffalo in Tanzania that had a missing "spinous process" at the top of the shoulder area, with round scars on either side, indicating somebody had shot high and didn't QUITE miss. I always wondered what happened after that high shot, since those often put big game down--but don't keep them there!

John, I agree about those "near spine" shots. I once witnessed a Hunter, I didn't know (during early muzzleloading season, Nat. Forest area) drop a decent buck. He didn't reload, but rushed down to the buck. About the time he got to the buck he begin to stir & tried to get up. The Shooter grabbed the Buck by the horns & tried to hold him down. I hurried down & when I got there, the Buck was getting stronger & the hunter was getting winded. I at first offered to cut the Bucks throat, The Hunter readily agreed, but I feared the Buck would go NUTS when I made a cut, so by then the Buck was getting the upper hand & was in position to gore the hunter (the Buck was standing & the hunter was on his back). I shot the buck (probably 175 #'s) in the chest . That settled the matter !!

"not too grumpy"